Friday, August 28, 2015

This Is Where I Live, segment nature

Just out behind Joel's house is a communal garden lot, where people have divided sections off, and each are responsible for one of those sections. I'm not sure how they've worked everything out, since I am not a part of it, but I do, however, get to enjoy the fruits of their labour. Visually, anyways.



If there is one thing I love the most, one thing I draw all my inspiration and love and energy from, it's nature. Yes, parts are the people and the animals, but largely it's the trees and the flowers and everything green. The crabapples are so ripe right now it hurts. They're just waiting to be picked, and eventually they end up rotting on the ground. I'm tempted to make apple crisp with them. I just have to, you know, go and pick them.



Regardless, as an artist I have found myself noticing more peculiar things, like the patterns in the negative shapes of leaves, or the spirals in which most things grow. Or how there can be 13 different shades of green in one vegetable patch.



And I'm noticing things like texture, and lines, and curves and crinkles. I'm not sure why I notice them, or what I can do with it, all I know is it's fascinating. Nature is strange and weird and beautiful and creepy and wonderful all at once, and it'll always surprise me what things I find weird and what things I find wonderful.



There's something about singles in nature that fascinate me. You look at all the leaves and roots and clouds, everything comes in bountiful numbers. But once in a while I will find a one-of. One poppy in a field of wheat, one melon in a patch of leaves. It's something you might find popping up here and there in my photographs, and later on when I post about my Europe trip!



Lines and rows of green. Big, small, skinny, fat, angular, curvy, there is literally every variety you can think of in this small communal little love garden.



I love Marigolds. These kinds, specifically, because they're super nostalgic. They used to be the only flower I liked, because I had (and still do, actually) an issue with the "insidey bits". The reproductive organs or whatever. I dunno. I homeschooled. Point is, the weird insidey bits with the lines and the textures and the wrinklies and stuff, it was all just too much for me. Then I found Marigolds, and saw they had no insidey bits (noticeably, anyways), and I was sold.




I love sunflowers so much. If there was a flower that could best represent the gloriousness and wonder that is the sun, it would be this bright, tall standing, thick stalked, vivacious flower.


Ahh. The sun was going to sleep when I was talking these last few pictures.



It's difficult to find my time in nature when I'm living in a city, but I am lucky to be living in a city that cares about their greenery and their plant life. They don't really care about the litter, but that's another post for another time. Point of this one is, take the time to stop and smell the flowers. For your sake, more than anyone else's.

No comments:

Post a Comment