Sunday, September 6, 2015

This Is Where I Live, segment downtown

Red Deer isn't bad, for a city. It's on the smaller side, way smaller than Edmonton or Calgary, but bigger than Lethbridge (or so they say. I haven't been down to the windy city since living here, so I don't have a very good map to judge that on). But it's pretty clean, and the city does a good job keeping it green and luscious. If you stay in the tourist area, you won't see much neglect or sketchiness. Just, keep to the south end ;)


This is the park downtown. The gardens or whatever they call it. The city owns it and runs it and maintains it, and during Christmas time the trees are covered with lights. It's so beautiful.









Downtown is very easy to get to- just hop any bus in the city and you'll be there in at most a half hour. You get off the terminal, and everything downtown is good for is a five minute walk away. You don't come downtown to get groceries, you come to get a coffee and do some window shopping and go get a fancy new watch or something. Or have a picnic in the gardens. Or during the summer, listen to street performers on the patio.














It's a quaint little town, and the community is pretty wonderful. When I first got here I thought it was mostly rednecks and hicks, and I was the only one wearing skinnies with coloured hair. But as I adjusted, my eyes did too, and they started coming out of the woodwork. I saw Brian with his bright purple hair, Phoebe with her rainbow locks. I met banjo players and graffiti painters, person after person coming to the table with their own, individual story, and a personality to match. I've grown to love the arts community here in Red Deer, and cannot wait to become a more prominent face.

No comments:

Post a Comment