Saturday, January 13, 2018

I Went to Nicaragua and Painted a Volcano

This one's easy because I only have one photograph. February 2016 I went with my best friend Hannah to Ometepe Island in Nicaragua. We spent a grueling 6 days there, filled with food poisoning and a troublesome guide, and I was so thankful to arrive home, luggage safely lost in Houston, Texas. Fantastic.

But the entire trip was not lost on me. I had a good 700 photos or so on my camera to filter through in the months after the trip. One particular photo was taken my first night there, just hours before I was hit with the worst (and only) food poisoning of my entire life. I was better two days later.

Anyways, too much information aside, I thought it was really cool that where I was currently standing, in that location, I was directly between two volcanoes. One of them was an active volcano too. So that is what inspired this painting. The red background, the gold all over the horizon, the blue tropical water. The colours there were amazing, and the heat was intense, and the bugs and animals were all sorts of whacked. But the scenery, man I could look at that scenery forever.

Nica Volcano

So this is my Volcano. It is 4 feet wide x 2 feet tall, 1.5 inches thick, and entirely acrylic paints and medium. Loads of texture, because I know there's some texture fiends out there, and the same boarder effect you see in my Blue and Purple Trees. I just think it's a neat way to frame a painting without actually putting it in a frame. Plus, what the function of a frame is for, is to focus the viewers eye inwards. If you have a hard line around the edge, the viewer will instinctively look further inwards, towards the center of the painting, instead of just wandering off the edge and onto the next one. It's important to me to keep my viewer looking, because there is always so much more to see under the surface.

I'm asking $350.00 for this one.

Thanks for reading :) Feel free to share this post if you or someone you know is in the market for some new art. I'm ready to deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment